Looking for a savoury treat with a lighter hint of sweet?
This ain’t your average crumble. For starters, there’s no apple involved, and the crumble contains quinoa and hemp…taste buddies, brace yourselves!
I love the sweet potato for its versatility, naturally sweet flavor and nutrient density (fiber, potassium, vitamins A, C & B’s).
For me, finding a dessert that doesn’t spike blood sugar can be a gamble. Even when it’s sweetened naturally with coconut nectar or dates. Sheesh, I sound like a broken record.
My balanced formula usually involves baking with little to no added sweet, or pairing those natural sweeteners with fiber, protein and healthy fats. The essence of a well-rounded healthy treat.
Toasted walnuts have a beautifully rich nutty flavour, while quinoa flakes and hemp hearts add that extra layer of plant-based protein. I also included rolled oats to preserve some sense of crumble tradition.
Sweet Potato & Walnut Hemp Crumble (vegan, gluten-free)
For the sweet potato base:
3-4 large sweet potatoes, chopped
2 tbsp vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
2 tbsp lucuma powder (or other natural sweetener)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Himalayan crystal salt
For the crumble:
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup rolled oats, certified gluten-free
1/4 cup almond or coconut flour
1/4 cup hemp hearts
1 tbsp vegan butter (same as above)
1 tbsp virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp Yacon syrup (or pure maple syrup)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of Himalayan crystal salt
- Preheat over to 350 F.
- Chop sweet potatoes into cubes and place in a large pot of boiling water. Gently boil for 10-15 minutes or until softened. Once drained and cooled, mash the sweet potatoes in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the rolled oats, quinoa flakes, nut flour, hemp hearts, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and salt. Next, add in the melted coconut oil, vegan butter and liquid sweetener. Blend until the crumble is evenly coated.
- Return to your mashed sweet potatoes and add in the remainder of ingredients, stirring well.
- In an 8 x 11 baking pan, place a sheet of parchment paper or coat with coconut oil. Smooth out the sweet potato base, scouting for any hidden chunks. Spread the upper crumble layer nice and evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, let cool for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy! Or spoon it cold right out of the fridge…
If you try it out (and like it as much as I do), feel free to head over to Earth Balance’s Holiday Bake-Off page and vote before November 30th – or better yet, enter your own vegan recipe! You’ll find a treasure trove of festive inspiration…
Happy savouring ❤