As patio gatherings and backyard BBQ’s start sliding into your summer calendar, you may find yourself in a last minute pinch to whip up an appy…
My master plans for gluten-free bruschetta and creative ‘amuse-bouches’ usually end up being old faithful tortilla chips and salsa.
When we’re pressed for time, the beloved hummus is a simple solution to satisfying most (if not all) party-goer palates.
A Middle Eastern superfood dating back to 13th Century Egypt, this iconic dip has some longstanding bragging rights. Hummus (or chummus) is traditionally whipped up with chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini and lemon. Super simple!
What I love most about hummus is its smooth, spreadable plant protein, fiber and healthy fats. This helps keep blood sugars stable, along with hunger cravings. An excellent spread for veggies, whole grain crackers, wraps, pita bread, quinoa bowls, sandwiches…you name it.
The ground sesame seed component of hummus (ie. tahini) is a rich source of bioavailable calcium, which means it’s better absorbed than cow’s milk! Tahini is also chock full of minerals like iron, magnesium and phosphorus. Then we have the lovely alkalinity and antioxidant prowess of lemon juice, and anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting garlic. Those Egyptians truly had it figured out.
So dive your summer snacks into this natural skinny dip. It’s fresh, unrefined and full of whole savoury yumness.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Nutrition per 3 tablespoon (45 g) serving: 7 g complex carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g fat, 4 g protein
- 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas, preferably in a BPA-free lined can (like Eden Organics, Earth’s Choice, Yves) or 1.5 cups dried sprouted chickpeas, if time isn’t of the essence
- 3 tablespoons unhulled tahini butter
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- 1/3 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup loosely chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Pinch or two of turmeric
- Himalayan crystal salt (to taste)
- Rinse/drain your chickpeas thoroughly and set aside.
- In a food processor (or high speed blender), pulse the tahini, lemon juice and garlic into a nice paste. Next, add the chickpeas, cumin, turmeric and parsley. Slowly add in the oil last. If mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of purified water.
- Serve immediately, or chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow flavours to mingle.
Don’t worry, if everyone dips in (which they will), garlic breath won’t be an issue.
Happy laidback summer snacking! xo