She whips them up without gluten OR sugar (yay for me!). Store-bought GF pastries are often laced with refined sugars and unhealthy fats (like hydrogenated veggie oils) to mask any gritty texture. None of that in her kitchen.
These delectable scones are light, fluffy and just the right amount of crumbly. Fresh rosemary from the herb garden and organic lemon zest are a dynamic duo, as rosemary contains the antioxidant rosmarinic acid and lemon peels are big in vitamin C. Not to mention their stellar flavour compatibility.
For more scone spins, mom recommends a savoury chive and cheddar blend, or banana berry combo. Lightly smother ’em with homemade jam, coconut oil, almond butter or your healthy spread of choice. I’m sure the new little Princess Charlotte would approve.
Without further ado, here is mom’s special recipe!
- 3 cups of your favourite all-purpose gluten-free flour (like Highwood Crossing or Cloud Nine with buckwheat)
- 2 tbsp organic baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (only if not included in GF flour mix)
- 2/3 cup of cold non-dairy butter (or organic grass-fed butter if dairy is ok)
- Zest of two lemons
1 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary or dried (love it fresh from her garden)
1/2 tsp non-irradiated cinnamon
2 free-range eggs (or flax ‘eggs’)
1 cup + 2 tbsp organic buttermilk or plain milk or fave milk substitute – she uses almond or rice milk mixed with 1 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pure maple syrup, raw honey or preferred natural sweetener (optional, she doesn’t use any!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together and blend well with a fork or pastry cutter.
- Blend in cubes of butter (or substitute) until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix milk and egg – if not using buttermilk, add apple cider vinegar to create the fermented liquid.
- Add 1/2 of liquid to flour mixture, folding into a soft dough, keep adding fluid until dough is ‘wet’ but not too mucky.
- Using your hands, take small fist amounts to create 12 scones. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
You are truly loved ❤