To show our hearts a little more TLC this month, I wanted to sprinkle some hemp food love!
When I first started dabbling with hemp seeds, they pretty much knocked the socks off my sluggish breakfast ritual.
Back in university, I would consume plain old oats as a morning kickstart, and this never fared too well with keeping blood sugar levels happy. Yes – oats are a beautiful source of water-soluble fiber, so technically they aren’t supposed to radically spike blood glucose. But with type 1 diabetes, they unload a canon of starchy carbohydrates toward our disarmed pancreases.
As a more amicable alternative to oats, I ventured over to the gluten-free buckwheat groat. And nothing tops my typical breakfast bowl like a loving tablespoonful (or two) of hemp hearts.
The wee hemp seed is a powerhouse of nutrients. Here are a few ways these super seeds will take your morning gruel to the next level:
- One 30 gram serving (2 tbsp) of hemp hearts contains a whopping 10 grams of plant-based protein. That’s over twice the amount in flax or chia.
- They’re a type 1 diabetic dream! Only 3 grams of carbohydrates per serving (plus 3 grams of fiber).
- Hemp hearts provide 10 grams of anti-inflammatory omega-3 & 6 fatty acids per serving.
- They’re rich in magnesium, which helps promote nerve and muscle functions, blood sugar balance and immune support.
- Non-GMO, raw, whole food harmony. What’s not to love.
For this hearty hemp breakfast bowl, a food processor or blender helps create a creamy textured porridge. It also gels well when thrown into a sealed glass container in the fridge overnight.
Ingredients (yields approx. 4 servings):
4 tbsp of hemp hearts
4 tbsp of chia and/or flax seeds
1/2 cup chopped raw nuts (I used sprouted almonds)
1 cup buckwheat groats (ideally pre-soaked for an hour or longer, then rinsed and drained)
1 cup unsweetened almond or hemp milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
Berries, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs or toasted coconut as toppings (optional)
1. Place hemp hearts, pre-soaked/rinsed buckwheat groats, chia, nut milk and cinnamon into a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth and creamy.
2. Divide into four equal portions and set remainders aside to keep in fridge over the next few mornings.
3. Scoop into your fave bowl, add desired toppings and enjoy!
For the sweet little giveaway portion of this post, our friends at Manitoba Harvest have kindly offered to send a 56 gram bag of Hemp Hearts to one of you lovely peeps!
In order to enter…
1. Leave a comment below telling me what recipe you’re stoked to try out with #HempHearts. Check out Manitoba Harvest for recipe inspiration.
3. Be a resident of Canada or the US.
Winner will be randomly chosen by March 9, 2015.
Happy #HempLove! ❤